The place was not able to provide them with what they were used to have in Lipata. Not long after, they went down to the plains and again, towards the place near the river and the sea.
This started a permanent settlement. The community rapidly grew. The accounts state that when the Spaniards arrived, a friar riding on a boat which is rowed to the shore is pointing to the flowering trees that enveloped the bank of the river, where houses of the settlers behind. The friar, then asked his guide about the name of the place. Unable to decipher what the friar is saying, the guide answered “Culasi-si” thinking that the person was asking for the name of the flowering trees. Without a second thought, the friar called the place “Culasi” after his question was answered.
After the boat landed, the friar together with his entourage disembarked and preceded in the gathering area located to at the middle of the settlement was the townsmen convene.The friar keeps mentioning “Culasi” and, the community since then came to be known as CULASI. This accorfing to the account, on how the municipality got its name.
The Spaniards initially built the convent which served as the administrative office for the community. The church was later constructed and the Christianization of the natives started. The process took a little longer, hence, the friars requested for a contingent of Spanish soldiers and with the sword behind the cross, the natives embraced Christianity.
The friars established a civilian authority under their chosen Capitan Mayor who enforced the orders of the church such as payment of taxes, forced labor, and other services that were required by the church.
In 1735, Culasi was established as a politic military unit of the Alcadiaof Antique and became a “pueblo” (town). It is this event that we are celebrating every first Saturday of March as our Foundation Day.
The Spanish domination of Culasi lasted October 20, 1898 when the revolutionary forced under General Leandro Fullon and Colonel Ang Salazar,Sr. with the help of the mutino “Tiradores” (Filipino soldiers under the employ Spain) drove the Spaniards out of Culasi are raised the Revolutionary Freedom Flag for the time in Panay Island, the same Philippine flag which is the symbol of Philippine freedom and independence was raised here in the Poblacion Culasi on October 20, 1898.
This freedom and independence were short lived for the Americans subdued us again and colonized our land . In 1900 the America established their government in Culasi. Don Juan Xavier was its first Municipal President. The Gabaldon Act was passed in American Congress which mandated masse education for the Filipinos. Through education, the Americans we able to penetrate the Filipino Psyche and through it, exerted a very strong influence over the economic, political, social and cultural lives of the Filipinos.
In 1942, the Filipinos were caught in the middle of Japanese-American War. Cualsi was not spared and it contributed its share heroes and heroines during this war, most notable among them were Capt. Silverio L. Cadiao. Culasi also provided a safe haven for the American submarines, the U.S.S Gideon which landed communications personnel and equipment and U.S.s Narwhal which landed arms and ammunitions for the Guerilla forces of Panay.
The war ended in 1946 and with the declaration of the Philippine Independence, Culasi rejoiced and proceeded to construct the damages brought about by the war.
Now, Culasi, where Madja-as stands firm with her foot firmly rooted almost at the Poblacion fervently hopes that development cascade down the slopes together with her cascading waterfalls to the people below. Having withstood the tests of time and the elements through it trials and tribulations of history, Culasi determined to rise to greatness as a humble progressive and peaceful community.